Spicy Potato Kale Soup
Adapted from America’s Test Kitchen
1 teaspoon canola oil
4 oz. hot Italian sausage
1 yellow or white onion, minced
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp ground cumin
pinch red pepper flakes
6 cups fat free low-sodium chicken broth
1 1/2 lbs. red potatoes, scrubbed and cut into 3/4-inch chunks
1 (15-oz) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
12 oz. kale, stemmed and leaves sliced 1/4-inch thick
1/4 tsp dried oregano
salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a large stock pot over medium heat until shimmering. Add sausage and cook until browned, about 5-7 minutes. Transfer sausage to a bowl.
- Add the onion to the remaining grease and cook over medium heat until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic, cumin and red pepper flakes and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Stir in the broth, potatoes, and chickpeas, and bring to a simmer. Cover, reduce the heat to medium-love, and cook until the potatoes are almost tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Stir in the sausage, kale, and oregano and continue to simmer until the kale and potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes. Mash some of the potatoes against the side of the pot to thicken the soup. Season with salt and pepper and serve.
- Makes six 1-1/2 cup servings.