These rolls are perfect to use as soup scoopers, or would make a delicious hamburger bun. This recipe calls for a stand mixer, but you can also make the dough by hand.
Makes 8 large rolls
Large baking sheet
sauce pan or frying pan
3 1/3 C Flour + extra for dusting surface
2 tsp. yeast
1/2 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
2 tsp fennel seed
1 C lukewarm water
1/4 C oil
pinch red pepper flakes
2 cloves garlic
1 tsp. water
1.Slice garlic; put in saucepan with oil and red pepper over medium heat. Bring to a simmer for four minutes. Set aside and strain pepper and garlic when cool.
2. Place two cups of flour and remaining dry ingredients in large bowl; stir to combine. Add flavored oil and water. Mix in electric mixer fitted with paddle attachment until all flour is absorbed. Add remaining flour 1/4 cup at a time until fully incorporated and it cleans the sides of the bowl.
3. Move dough to a lightly floured surface and knead for five minutes. Place dough in a large greased bowl; cover with plastic wrap. Let double in bulk; about 1 hour.
4. Push dough down to fold in on itself, flip, cover bowl, and let rise again to double.
5. Put dough on floured surface, push down, and divide into 8 pieces. Form into balls and place on greased baking sheet. cover with wax paper. Let rise until puffy (about 20 minutes).
6. Preheat oven to 350. Whisk one egg and 1 tsp water in a small bowl to brush tops of rolls. Remove wax paper, brush tops of rolls with egg wash. Using a knife or kitchen scissors cut an “X” on top of each roll.
7. Place on middle rack of oven for 35 minutes or until golden and rolls sound hollow when tapped.
8. Place on rack to cool.